Things NOT to Do
These are things that can keep you awake.
- Drink Alcohol - It is best to avoid alcohol for at least 4 hours before bed. Some people think alcohol is relaxing and helps them to get to sleep. In reality, alcohol actually interrupts the quality of sleep.
- Caffeine & Nicotine - Both caffeine and nicotine are stimulants that can interfere with your ability to fall asleep. It is best to avoid them both for 4-6 hours before bedtime.
- Bed is for Sleeping - Avoid watching TV, surfing the Internet, catching up on social media, working, eating, and anything else in bed. Avoiding these activities will train your brain that your bed is for sleeping. This simple trick can help you fall asleep more quickly over time.
- Exercise - While exercising can be good, try not to do anything strenuous for about 4 hours before bedtime.
- Late Day Eating - A healthy diet can definitely help you sleep; however, large meals too close to bedtime can disrupt your sleep.